The Minda Star Garden is a place for our clients and members of the community to come, sit and enjoy a little slice of green-thumb heaven at our Brighton site.
The team are currently working on a project to redevelop and rejuvenate the garden to give it a whole new look.
The new and improved garden will focus on growing fruits, vegetables and herbs for our clients to then harvest and use to cook delicious meals in our MyPath day options program. Currently the space is relatively undeveloped with unrealised potential. The new plans will completely redesign the space, adding in wheelchair accessible garden beds and paths.
The project will create diverse gardening, nature-based and food-related community activities and learning opportunities for people living with an intellectual disability and connects carers, volunteers and the wider community with Minda.
In addition to this, the project will also increase our volunteering opportunities opening up more avenues for the community to get involved through managing the garden with support from Minda staff.
We're looking for donations from the community to help make this dream garden a reality.
If you think you could donate your time to lend a helping hand to make your mark, we are looking for:
- help with ground preparation (digger/bobcat hire, waste skip, truck, tree removal, stump grinding, crown lifting, irrigation controllers, valves/solenoids, manifolds, irrigation pipe, irrigation fittings, sprays and drippers, clips and pegs)
- raised gardens beds (wood, corners, fixing, weed fabric)
- seating/benches (wood, paint/varnish, fixings)
- a shade sail (posts, sail, concrete)
- a shed (shed kit, paver base, shelving, garden tools)
- a shade house (shade cloth, fixings)
- vertical planters (posts, wood, irrigation and pots)
- an adult disability swing
If you think you could help us out by donating any of these items, sparing some time to volunteer and help us pull it all together or contribute with a monetary donation, please contact our Volunteer Specialist, Louise on 1800 164 632 or fill out the form below.