Developing toileting independence is a major milestone, but for some families it can seem like an overwhelming task. There are many additional challenges for children with developmental delay, which means traditional training approaches may need to be modified.
A toilet training program, relevant to the developmental needs of the child can help to provide families with support that is patient, persistent and positive, and also provide families with ongoing support.
Training programs include:
- Developing bowel and bladder control
- Teaching skills needed for toileting
- Considering emotional responses during toilet training, taking into account the child’s unique personality and parental responses
- Toilet equipment options
- Safety options
- Creating a positive environment for toilet training
- Using a toileting record chart