We know you have questions about volunteering, that's why we've created Frequently Asked Questions to help you out! If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please contact Minda's Volunteer Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (08) 8422 6288.
Who can volunteer?
Volunteers at Minda come from all walks of life. Some become involved with Minda as a stepping stone to gaining skills for employment, others to enhance social networks and gain a sense of personal satisfaction. No matter what your age, skills, or experience, your volunteer contribution makes a difference.
What kinds of volunteering can I do?
There are many different types of volunteering roles at Minda, check out our Volunteer Roles Available for current opportunities. In general, roles include the following:
- Direct one-on-one support for people with disability
- Event support at events such as our Christmas Carols and Markets, Melbourne Cup Carnival or Bunnings BBQs
- Fundraising support such as coin collection, christmas gift wrapping, to name a few
- Corporate support such as office administration
- Gardening and maintenance around the Minda sites
- Supporting the aquatic centre team
- Working in INC. Cafe
Talk to our volunteer team about roles that would suit you, we would love to have you join our team of volunteers.
As a corporate volunteer, what is available?
We encourage teams from organisations to volunteer together, roles may include:
- Fundraising projects
- Event support such as cooking a BBQ, decorating for a gala event
- Home and garden refurbishment
- Special projects
We can find an activity to suit your team, let us know when you're available and we'll work with you to find a suitable project.
How often do I need to volunteer? And for how many hours?
You can volunteer as often as you like and for as many hours that suit you, options are available for weekly volunteering or at special events such as our Christmas Carols and Markets. We can find a volunteering role at Minda that suits your lifestyle and availability.
What are the work hours for a volunteer?
You can volunteer whenever suits you if there is a need. If volunteering as a companion, hours generally start once the person is up showered and dressed. It really depends on the activity or event, corporate volunteering and coin collection is variable.
What age can people volunteer?
Volunteers can be any age, however volunteers that are 16 years and under require parental supervision at all times.
What clearances do I need?
The clearance required depends on the specific position, our volunteer position descriptions list the clearances required for each role. Most positions require a Department of Community and Social Inclusion (DCSI) working with children clearance.
Are there any restrictions to the duties I can perform?
As a volunteer, you are not permitted to administer food, drinks, medication or provide personal care.
Does volunteering guarantee me employment?
No, volunteering won’t guarantee employment but it will give you experience and a reference after a period of time.
What do I wear?
We'll always let you know what attire is needed for your role, in general:
- If you are providing direct support, modest, clean, comfortable clothes, enclosed shoes
- Maintenance and gardening; steal capped boots, hat, sunscreen
- For each event you will be advised what is appropriate attire